Friday, April 29, 2011

Peach Tart with Toasted Merengue

Here is my version of a Peach Tart. I must warn you I invented this recipe, taking ideas from several books and I just really wanted to flame something! I will also confess that i didnt make the crust, I took the shortcut and bought phillo dough and if you are a baker you will know that this is not the correct dough to be used. It should have been a Pate Brisee, but I was too tired from baking all those previous cookies and a flan for the event I decided to venture and get a premade dough but only found phillo. Phillo SHRINKS!! It was a good thing that the box brought two sheets, because sheet number one shrank and I shrieked!! I made the previous day the pastry cream, Im not sure which book I got it from. So after I tried a second time the crust came out decent enough, waited for the dough to cool before adding pastry cream. Later topped with peaches. I had some leftoever egg whites from doing the pastry cream so I decided to make merengue. The recipe is from Thomas Keller's AD HOC book, although his required 3 egg whites I hade 5 and decided to just go with it. The result is a less sweet merengue which I found to be great to offset the peaches. As you can see I only covered the outside with merengue, it was also a strategic move to hide the crust. Now for the fun part, Mr. Taco brought me a mini torch, used in dentistry, and I flammed to my hearts content. The kitchen was quite hot so the merengue was rapidly turning into liquid, the flamming of the merengue helped them set. Note to self: coat bottom of tart pan with non stick spray and remove from the bottom as soon as it cools. I suspect that once they cool and you refrigerate the dough just sticks to this and it becomes very difficult and hence messy to cut the tart. Overall I give myself 2.5 spoons out of 5, mostly on execution and presentation, because all components tasted well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home